FABSCRAP is a convenient and transparent recycling and reuse SERVICE, is an affordable and accessible materials RESOURCE, and is educating and empowering a diverse COMMUNITY of changemakers.
All volunteer sessions take place at either the FABSCRAP warehouse in Brooklyn or Philadelphia (directions here). Each session is 3 hours long with 10 signups available (16 for Philly).
At our Brooklyn location we currently hold two sessions (9am-Noon & 1pm-4pm), on Tuesdays and Thursdays to Sarudays. On Wednesdays we have only PM sessions. At our Philadelphia location we have sessions Mon-Fri 9-12 PM and 1-4 PM and we have one Saturday a month (normally the last Saturday of the month) where we schedule volunteer sessions.
- Welcome: Intros and overview of FABSCRAP (10 minutes)
- Training: Learn how FABSCRAP sorts fabric for recycling (10 minutes)
- Sort: Sort through fabric samples and large pieces, pulling out usable fabrics for reuse and removing hardware and paper from fabric swatches for recycling (~2.5 hours)
- Shop for fabric at the end of the session! (please try to bring a tote bag for your shopping!)
***Sorting fabric requires the use of sharp scissors and moderate lifting (up to 20 lbs). By registering for a session, you are confirming that you have read, understood, and agreed to the volunteer waiver.
As a thank-you for completing a 3 hour volunteer session, we’re happy to:
- Give you 5 pounds of fabric for FREE and a 30% volunteer discount on any additional material you’d like to purchase…
- Waive the fee for recycling personal sewing scraps, up to 10 pounds and a 30% discount on any materials you purchase
Tips for a successful volunteer session:
- Dress comfortably and wear comfortable shoes as most volunteers sort while standing; we can provide chairs if you prefer to sit
- Bring your own bag to carry home any material you shop!
- We play music, but feel free to bring headphones
- Feel free to bring water or beverages with a cap/lid; there are also vending machines in the entrance of the building
- As the weather gets cooler, windows will only be open for ventilation depending on outside temperature
- Please be sure to register for every session you plan to attend, and have any guests who want to accompany you register as well.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.