FABSCRAP is a convenient and transparent recycling and reuse SERVICE, is an affordable and accessible materials RESOURCE, and is educating and empowering a diverse COMMUNITY of changemakers.
All volunteer sessions take place at either the FABSCRAP warehouse in Brooklyn or Philadelphia (directions here). Each session is 3 hours long with 11 signups available. We are presently holding AM and PM sessions Mon-Fri, 9 am-12 pm and 1 pm-4 pm. Here's how a session works:
- Intros and overview of FABSCRAP (10 minutes)
- Learn how to sort the fabric scraps (15 minutes)
- Sort through fabric samples and large pieces, pulling out usable fabrics for reuse and removing hardware and paper from fabric swatches for recycling (2.5 hours)
- Shop for fabric after the session!
To thank you for your time, we’re happy to give you 5 pounds of FREE fabric plus a 30% volunteer discount on any additional material OR waive the fee for recycling up to 10 lbs of personal sewing scraps, OR sign a community service form.
NOTE: FABSCRAP is unable to receive used garments or home linens for recycling.
Tips for a successful session
We welcome all sorters over the age of 10! Please…
- Consider the health and safety of your fellow volunteers and the FABSCRAP team. Familiarize yourself with the symptoms of COVID-19 and cancel your session if you are not feeling well, have been diagnosed with COVID-19, or had direct contact with an individual diagnosed with or suspected to have COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
- Dress comfortably and wear comfortable shoes as most volunteers sort while standing. We can provide chairs if you prefer to sit!
- Bring your own bag to carry home any fabric you shop!
- We play music, but feel free to bring headphones
- Feel free to bring water or beverages with a cap/lid; there are also vending machines in the building
- As the weather gets cooler, windows will only be open for ventilation depending on outside temperature
NOTE: Sorting fabric requires the use of sharp scissors and some moderate lifting (20-30 lbs). By registering for a session, you are confirming that you have read, understand, and agree to the volunteer waiver.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.