Distress Centre Calgary (DCC) provides 24 hour crisis support, professional counselling, youth peer support and referrals through 211 and our programs at SORCe – all at no cost. For over 50 years, Distress Centre has served Calgary and Southern Alberta, ensuring everyone has a place to turn in times of crisis.
We do not define crisis. We do not judge. Anyone can call us day or night.
Mission: Provide compassionate, accessible crisis support that enhances the health, well-being and resiliency of individuals in distress.
Vision: Everyone is heard.
Values: Accessibility, Collaboration, Compassion, Excellence, Inclusivity, Innovation, Leadership, Partnerships, Respect, Volunteerism.
- Crisis Line Volunteer: 18+
- Our highly trained volunteers provide confidential support to callers. They do this by listening, managing crisis situations, ensuring the caller is safe, and providing the appropriate information about Distress Centre programs as well as refer them to services within the community.
- Online Services Crisis Line Volunteer: 18+
- As an Online Services Crisis Line Volunteer, working from your own home, you provide service users (via text, chat and email) with confidential service using tools and skills acquired in classroom theory, practical/on-going training, and continuous feedback. You offer service users support, crisis intervention, and provide appropriate information and referrals to programs within Distress Centre as well as the community. Our volunteers must be able to demonstrate flexibility and adaptability in changing situations. This can include taking multiple chats, covering peer-support services, and keeping up to date with the latest best practices, policies, and procedures. Volunteers are also expected to enter short reports on all service user contacts to allow follow-up and/or evaluations by the staff.
- Connecteen Youth Volunteer: 15-20
- As a youth volunteer, you will provide confidential peer support to teens in distress by phone, chat, text or email. Extensive classroom, practical and ongoing training provided.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.