Phone: (604) 431-0400
BNH South House: 4460 Beresford St., Burnaby, BC V5H 0B8
BNH North House: 4908 Hastings St., Burnaby, BC V5B 1P6
About the Burnaby Neighbourhood House
The Burnaby Neighbourhood House is a social service organization which works with community members and volunteers to make neighbourhoods better places to live. This non-profit provide a variety of programs and services that support children, families, adults, seniors and new immigrants in Burnaby.
If you didn’t know what a Neighbourhood House was, it was our job to bring you onside.
1) We are looking for individuals who enjoy working with Seniors (55+) who can lead social and recreational groups (in-person, on the phone, or over Zoom!), walks, or facilitate workshops. Times and days are flexible.
2) If you are comfortable with technology and want to teach older adults computer skills, come and join our Senior’s Tech Outreach Support program now. The program will start in September and training will take place this summer.
3) TAPS (Therapeutic Activation Program for Seniors) is a low cost social activity day program for Burnaby seniors. This is a 4 hour day program including lunch. The program will involve socializing, games, lunch, education, and physical activity for seniors 55+.
4) Senior’s Transportation – Are you interested in helping seniors and driving them to the appointment destinations? Burnaby Community Services is looking for responsible car owners who are willing to pick up senior clients at their residences and drive them to the dental and medical appointments throughout Burnaby, New Westminster, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, and Vancouver. The driver may also help guide the client into the office and, if it is a round trip, wait for the client to drive them home. Note: this is a long-term role (at least 1 year) with mileage reimbursement.
5) Senior’s Peer Support – Are you 55+ and interested in helping others? As a senior peer support volunteer, you provide one-on-one support and guidance to a fellow senior through challenging times in their lives. You will receive 50 hours of online training before starting your role (every Wednesday).
6) Senior’s Food Distribution – Do you have concerns about food security or want to help those in need with accessing free or affordable food? Our Seniors Food/Meal Delivery volunteers will deliver groceries and/or prepared meals to isolated seniors living in Burnaby. Wednesdays and Thursdays – time of day flexible. You will need access to a car.
Digital Volunteers (In-Person) – We are looking for tech savvy, patient and multilingual individuals that are able to work one-on-one or in small groups with adult/senior learners. Volunteers need to be comfortable working in-person at either our south and north locations. Mondays 10am-12 pm (North House), Mondays 12- 2pm (South) – In-person and/or online and Thursdays 3-5pm (South).
Food bank – Do you have concerns about food security or want to help those in need with accessing free or affordable food? We are looking for individuals who can help sort, bag, and organize food for isolated individuals and/or seniors living in Burnaby. Times and days are flexible.
Literacy Now – If you are passionate or interested in increasing literacy in Burnaby there are several volunteer options available at this time. We are looking for Food Hub librarians, Online Outreach through Social media streams, and Working Task Groups that work to build and enhance literacy services, programs and networks in Burnaby.
Special events – Do you want to engage with others and practice your communication skills? Perhaps you enjoy busy environments and want to participate in community events. We are looking for volunteers to assist with upcoming events such as Hats off Day (Barricade attendants), Community BBQs, and summer events. Many of the events take place in the evenings and/or weekends.
Office Volunteers – Do you want experience working in an office setting? Do you enjoy working with others or chatting with people? Or do you enjoy sorting and organizing information? We are looking for office volunteers to help out at our South and North offices once a week for 3 hours.
Community Program Facilitator – If you enjoy bringing people together to learn and connect, the Community Program Facilitator volunteer role is the opportunity you were looking for. The Community Program Facilitator will design, develop, and implement an engaging program where participants will learn and develop skills, connect with each other, and build vibrant communities together. Times and days are flexible. The time commitment will be 2-3 hours per week, to prepare and lead the sessions.
EAL Teacher Volunteers – We are seeking enthusiastic volunteers to teach or assist community based EAL classes for adults for the following online classes: Tuesday 6-7pm (Beginners’ class), Thursday 1-2pm (Intermediate class)
Repair Café – If you can fix small appliances, woodwork, electronics, jewelry, clothes, bikes, and others. Come and get involved at BNH’s first Repair Cafés!
Meals On Wheels:
1) Depot Driver: We need a volunteer to come into our office to pick up our Meals on Wheels minivan and take our delivery containers out to our caterer in Richmond (Bridgeport area) to pick up Western meals from our caterer. Mondays 7:45am-9:45am
2) Route Delivery Drivers: We need volunteers on a regular weekly, or on-call basis to come with their vehicle to our offices by Brentwood mall to pick up meals and deliver to clients on one of our routes in Burnaby. Wednesdays or Fridays 10:30-12:30 (on-call)
3) Delivery Box Cleaner: We need a volunteer to come in to our kitchen to clean, sanitize and organize our meal delivery containers. Wednesdays or Fridays from 1pm-3pm
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.